Indian Independence Day is annually observed on 15 August as a national holiday. It is a day for the people in India to pay homage to their leaders and those who struggled for India’s freedom in the past. The UK Parliament passed the Indian Independence Act 1947 transferring legislative sovereignty to the Indian Constituent Assembly and now 71st Independence Day in India where people are commemorating the nation’s independence from the United Kingdom on 15 August 1947. On the same day, Jawaharlal Nehru had become the first Prime Minister of India and holds the Indian national flag over the Lahori Gate in Red Fort, Old Delhi. People in India celebrate it with lots of arrangements and courage. Independence corresponded with the partition of India, and it became a dominion within the Commonwealth. British led the friction between Hindus and Muslims to partition British India, creating East and West Pakistan. Check out below for Happy Indian Independence Day 2019 Wishes, Facts, Quotes, Images and More.
India is a country of “Unity in Diversity” where people living from different religions but for the national occasion, they celebrate it together. The Indian national flag is a flat tricolour of saffron, white and green and wheel in the centre represents the chakra, which is on the abacus of Ashoka’s pillar.
Facts about Indian Independence Day
Some interesting and knowledgeable facts about Indian Independence Day to fulfil the people needs and enhance their general knowledge.
- India got freedom from the British Government on 15 August 1947.
- In 1947, India got freedom after lots of struggle in midnight.
- First Independence Day of India was celebrated by hoisting the tricoloured flag on 15 August 1947.
- After some years, it was announced as the National and Gazetted holiday for schools and colleges. Also, some schools and colleges open for some hours only to celebrate the day with some academic and cultural works.
- National Anthem will be sung after a flag hoisting ceremony.
- Rani Laxmi Bai, a Queen of Jhansi, had fought like a tiger against the British rule and sacrificed her life for freedom.
- Mahatma Gandhi is also called as the father of the nation who led the country through his nonviolent movement named ‘Ahimsa’ to get freedom.
- For the past 100000 years of history, India has never attacked any other country for the kingdom.
- Earlier there was a valley called as “Indus” which became the first resident of India, and then it became the reason of origin of the name “India.”
- Sardar Vallabhai Patel is the one who brought Princely states of India together, during the freedom struggle movement of the country.
- Bal Gangadhar Tilak is the one who proclaimed as “Swaraj is my birthright, and I will have it!”.
- Bhagat Singh was arrested and hung by the British government for the bomb blast during the meeting.
- Dr Annie Besant is a Britisher who also fought for Indian freedom and named the Home Rule League in India.
- Ashfaqualla Khan was a great Indian freedom fighter who was given a death sentence by giving his first kiss to his nose before getting hanged.
- The rebellion of 1857 was the most prominent freedom movement for India against Britishers.
- Mahatma Gandhi started Dandi March in 1930 an Indian independence movement for making own salt against the British rule.
- In 1942, Quit India Movement was started to widespread non-violent struggle all over India for getting freedom.
- August 15 is also celebrated as Independence Day in other countries like South Korea which got freedom from Japan in 1945, Congo from France in 1960 and Bahrain from the UK in 1971.
- Jawaharlal Nehru is the first Prime Minister of India and hoisted the national flag on Red Fort in old Delhi.
- At the time of independence of India that is in 1947, the gold price was 88.62 Rs/10 grams, but now, it is 28,795 Rs/10 grams.
- In 1947, the Indian rupee was equal to Re 1 = $1 and currently 61.43/dollar.
- The first cabinet of India had taken with a group of 13 ministers to the oath on 15 August 1947.
Happy Indian Independence Day Quotes
There are some motivational and inspirational quotes quotes said by some famous freedom fighters and legends of India like Swami Vivekananda, Mahatma Gandhi, Indira Gandhi, Jawaharlal Nehru, B. R. Ambedkar, Rajiv Gandhi, Bal Gangadhar Tilak, Bhagat Singh, Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose, Bankim Chandra Chatterjee Rabindranath Tagore, as well as other countries Niccolo Machiavelli, Elmer Davis, Andrew Jackson, Evo Morales, Theodore Roosevelt, Alexander Henry, Joseph Pulitzer, Max Mueller, Albert Einstein, Abraham Lincoln, etc.
- “India conquered and dominated China culturally for 20 centuries without ever having to send a single soldier across her border!” – Hu Shih
- “Long years ago, we made a tryst with destiny and now the time comes when we shall redeem our pledge… At the stroke of the midnight hour, when the world sleeps, India will awake to life and freedom.” – Jawaharlal Nehru
- “Even if I died in the service of the nation, I would be proud of it. Every drop of my blood… will contribute to the growth of this nation and make it strong and dynamic.” – Indira Gandhi
- “At the dawn of history India started on her unending quest, and trackless centuries are filled with her striving and the grandeur of her success and her failures. Through good and ill fortune alike she has never lost sight of that quest or forgotten the ideals which gave her strength.” – Jawaharlal Nehru
- “How can one be compelled to accept slavery? I simply refuse to do the master’s bidding. He may torture me, break my bones to atoms and even kill me. He will then have my dead body, not my obedience. Ultimately, therefore, it is I who am the victor and not he, for he has failed in getting me to do what he wanted done.” – Mahatma Gandhi
- “For some days, people thought that India was shaking. But there are always tremors when a great tree falls.” – Rajiv Gandhi
- “India is the cradle of the human race, the birthplace of human speech, the mother of history, the grandmother of legend, and the great grand mother of tradition. Our most valuable and most astrictive materials in the history of man are treasured up in India only!” – Mark Twain
- “One individual may die for an idea; but that idea will, after his death, incarnate itself in a thousand lives. That is how the wheel of evolution moves on and the ideas and dreams of one nation are bequeathed to the next” – Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose
- “We end today a period of ill fortune and India discovers herself again. The achievement we celebrate today is but a step, an opening of opportunity, to the greater triumphs and achievements that await us. Are we brave enough and wise enough to grasp this opportunity and accept the challenge of the future?” – Jawaharlal Nehru
- “Fourscore and seven years ago, our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal” – Abraham Lincoln
- “I believe that the civilization India evolved is not to be beaten in the world. Nothing can equal the seeds sown by our ancestors, Rome went, Greece shared the same fate; the might of the Pharaohs was broken; Japan has become Westernized; of China nothing can be said; but India is still, somehow or other, sound at the foundation.” – Mahatma Gandhi
- “At the stroke of the midnight hour, when the world sleeps, India will awake to life and freedom. A moment comes, which comes but rarely in history, when we step out from the old to the new, when an age ends, and when the soul of a nation, long suppressed, finds utterance. It is fitting that at this solemn moment we take the pledge of dedication to the service of India and her people and to the still larger cause of humanity.” – Jawaharlal Nehru
- “Swaraj is my birthright and I shall have it” – Bal Gangadhar Tilak
- “Our nation is like a tree of which the original trunk is swarajya and the branches are swadeshi and boycott.” – Subhas Chandra Bose
- “Whatever difficulties we may face, we must never give up the quest for truth, which alone is God himself.” – Bal Gangadhar Tilak
- “Apparently, I’ve acted like a terrorist. But I’m not a terrorist.” – Mahatma Gandhi
- “The essential thing in religion is making the heart pure. The kingdom of heaven is within us but only pure heart can see the ‘king’!” – Bhagat Singh
Happy Independence Day Wishes
- Again, it is time for us to show other nations that we are great people from a great nation. And let’s continue our struggle towards prosperity and betterment of our dear nation. – Happy Independence Day
- Freedom is never dear at any price. It is the breath of life. What would a man not pay for living? – Mahatma Gandhi. – Happy Independence Day
- On this special day here’s wishing our dreams of a new tomorrow come true! May your Independence Day day be filled with patriotic spirit! – Happy Independence Day
- We celebrate bravery of our ancestors and their gift of freedom. Long may our flag wave! – Happy Independence Day
- Let’s take this day to think about of our past and resolve to build a better future for our country. Wishing you a Happy Independence Day
- Freedom in our mind, faith in the words, pride in our souls. Let’s salute the great men and women who made this possible. – Happy Independence Day
- Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country! – Happy Independence Day
Happy Independence Day Images
Click here for More facts
Hudhud Bird (Hoopoe) Species, Details, Images, Price, Origin, Facts & More
Topless Web Series (2020) | Zee5 Original | Cast | Full Episodes | Trailer
Ninnu Kori Tamil Movie (2020) | Cast | Teaser | Trailer | Release Date
Aahna Sharma Wiki, Biography, Age, Images, Splitsvilla & More
Emiway Bantai Wiki, Biography, Age, Movies, Images, Songs & More
Naandhi Telugu Movie (2020) | Cast | Teaser | Trailer | Release Date
Aditi Sharma (Serials Actress) Wiki, Biography, Age, Family, Images & More
Vikram Singh Chauhan Wiki, Biography, Age, Movies, Serials, Images & More
Athisaya Piraviyum Arputha Pennum Serial Cast, Episodes, Promo, Hero Heroine, Story | Star Vijay TV
Chithi 2 Serial Cast, Episodes, Promo, Hero Heroine, Story | Sun TV
Meenal Wiki, Biography, Age, Movies, Family, Images
Karishma Wiki, Biography, Age, Movies, Family, Images & More
Bigg Boss3 months ago
Bigg Boss Telugu Vote 2019 | Season 3 | Contestants List | Winners | Star Maa
Entertainment3 months ago
Super Singer Vote Senior Season 7 | Online Voting | Contestants | Results | Vijay TV
Bigg Boss4 months ago
Bigg Boss Tamil Vote Online Season 3 | Contestants | Eliminations | Winner
Bollywood2 months ago
Todaypk Movies Download 2019: Bollywood, Telugu, Tamil, Hollywood Movies HD Free Download
Entertainment5 months ago
Kurukshetra (2019) Full Kannada Movie Download Leaked Online by Tamilrockers & Movierulz
Latest News2 months ago
Jio Rockers Movies Download HD 2019: New Telugu, Tamil, Hindi Movies List | Alternatives
Entertainment2 months ago
Movierulz Movies Download HD 2020: New Telugu, Malayalam, Tamil, Hindi Movies | Alternatives
Latest News10 months ago
Khatrimaza Movies HD Download 2019: KhatrimazaFull New Bollywood, Hollywood and South Movies