We know that the Taj Mahal is one of the seven wonders of the world. We are aware who built it and for whom. We are aware it is the pride of our nation, India. We are aware a lot about it. The Standing majestically on the banks of River Yamuna, the Taj Mahal is symbol love and romance. The name “Taj Mahal” was derived from the name of Shah Jahan’s wife, Mumtaz Mahal, and means “Crown Palace.” The purity of the white marble, the elegant decoration, precious gemstones used and its lovely location, all make a visit to the Taj Mahal gain a place amongst the most sought-after tours in the world. However, until you know the love story behind the construction of the Taj Mahal, the beauty of the same would not enliven in your heart and mind and instead would come up as just another beautiful structure/monument. It is the love behind this outstanding achievement that has given a life to this building. Come and explore the physical appeal that it emanates.But we don’t know a lot of things about the Facts of Taj Mahal.
Facts of Taj Mahal
1. There is a small hole on the ceiling of the main hall perpendicularly above the tombstone of Mumtaz Mahal.
According to stories, it is the work of an artisan who decided to sabotage Shah Jehan ‘s dream of creating a masterpiece after he came to know about his decision to amputate all the artisan’s arms. So the Taj is not as flawless as we would like to think it is.
2. The ASI had to conceal the Taj during WW-II with a huge scaffold to misguide bombers.
3. The Shah Jehan’s first reaction on beholding the Taj
“Should guilty seek asylum here, Like one pardoned, he becomes free from sin.Should a sinner make his way to this mansion, All his past sins are to be washed away.The sight of this mansion creates sorrowing sighs; And the sun and the moon shed tears from their eyes.In this world this edifice has been made; To display thereby the creator’s glory.”
4. The story of the arms of all artisans being amputated by is probably a myth because the architect worked on other projects.
5. The minarets were built tilting outwards to protect the Taj from calamities like earthquakes.
6. A temple was built for the conman Natwarlal, who sold the Taj Mahal repeatedly.
7. The foundation of Taj Mahal would have eroded years ago if the Yamuna wasn’t there.
8. The interior of Taj is capable of blinding any goblin with its magnificent inlay work.
9. The Taj Mahal is taller than Qutub Minar.
10. It took about 32 million rupees during the years 1632-1653 on this great architectural marvel. Today that amount would be close to 1,062,834,098 USD.
11. The fountains have a special feature to ensure consistent water pressure in the fountains.
12. PC Sorkar Jr. made the Taj Mahal vanish in the year 2000.
13. Around 12,000 visitors come to see The Taj every day.
14. Shah Jehan wanted to build another Taj Mahal, a black Taj Mahal.
15. George Harrison clicked a selfie at the Taj.
16. The plinth of the Taj varies all around.
17. The Taj changes colors depending on the light.
18. Shah Jehan’s daughter Jahanara Begum refused a grand burial like the Taj.
19. An American Grammy Award-winning artist named himself Taj Mahal.
20. The makers employed an optical trick so that as you move closer to the gate, the Taj keeps getting smaller.
Taj Mahal is indeed a beautiful place. When you visit, make sure you take a picture of yourself and your spouse with the mausoleum as the background.